RCN Veterans

Are you a veteran of the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) and looking to continue your career at sea in a civilian capacity? The Seafarers’ International Union of Canada (SIU) is currently recruiting and welcomes those who served in the RCN!

For more information on how to transition from the RCN to a career at sea with the SIU Canada, please see the below information and be sure to contact an SIU Canada Union Hall to get started.

Effective 2023, Transport Canada is allowing all members of the regular force serving in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) to receive credits towards obtaining commercial marine certification under the Marine Personnel Regulations.


What you need to know:

Deck certification and engineering certification

To date the RCN has been approved to issue the following training certificates for all of their personnel who have completed the Naval Environmental Training Program. Transport Canada can issue Certificates of Proficiencies if the training has been completed within 5 years before the application date.

  • Marine Emergency Duties (MED) with Respect to Standard for Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) Basic Safety Training Certificate;
  • MED with Respect to STCW Basic Safety Refresher Training Certificate with completion of the RCN Fire/Flood and Sea Survival Refresher Training;
  • MED with Respect to Advanced Firefighting Training Certificate; and,
  • MED with Respect to Advanced Firefighting Refresher Training Certificate with completion of the RCN Fire/Flood Refresher Training.
Photo courtesy of the Royal Canadian Navy

Deck certification

  • RCN Boatswains who have successfully completed the Qualification Level (QL) 3 training as well as the On-the-Job-Training will receive the Bridge Watch Rating (BWR) Training Certificate with the credit for steering testimonial. The additional sea service required for this trade is 60 days (day for day) on commissioned vessels operated by the Department of National Defense.
  • In addition to the BWR training certificate and the 60 days sea service to obtain a BWR CoC, the successful completion of the MED with respect to Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats within 5 years before the application date, Marine Basic First Aid training, and holding a valid Marine Medical Certificate are required.
Photo courtesy of the Royal Canadian Navy

Engineering certification

Levels of the Marine Technician (MARTECH) legacy training prior 2013 that had been assessed against TP 8911 – Engineering Officer Education and Training Program:

  • A seafarer who achieves QL3, and has obtained a Certificate 1 from RCN is eligible, depending on an assessment, to receive an Engine-room Rating CoC under the MPR, and
  • A seafarer who achieves QL5 and has obtained Certificate 2 from RCN is eligible, depending on an assessment, to receive a Fourth-class Engineer, Motor Ship or Steamship CoC under the MPR.

Please note: other certificate qualifications are currently under review with respect to engineering and nautical certificates.

Ship’s cook certificate of competency

For a military cook who achieves the QL5 and has served on RCN vessels, RCN will issue a Transport Canada training certificate. The candidate will still be required to provide 30 days of sea service, a valid marine medical certificate, current Marine Advanced First Aid training certificate, and valid MED training certificate with respect to STCW Basic Safety.

For further information

Please contact your local Transport Canada office to discuss and make an appointment to receive credit towards obtaining marine certification under the MPR.

Currently serving RCN/Canadian Armed Forces members should contact Naval Personnel and Training Group Headquarters RCN.

Atlantic Region

Toll Free Number for all Atlantic regions: 1-855-859-3123


New Brunswick:

Bathurst: 506-548-7491


Saint John: 506-636-4748


Newfoundland and Labrador:

Corner Brook: 709-637-4390


Lewisporte: 709-535-2503


St. John’s: 709-772-5167


Nova Scotia:

Dartmouth: 902-461-3861


Port Hawkesbury: 902-625-0803


Sydney: 902-564-7002


Yarmouth: 902-742-6860


Prince Edward Island:

Charlottetown: 902-566-7987

Ontario region:

Sarnia: 519-383-1826


Toronto: 416-952-1018


Kingston: 613-545-8676


St. Catharines: 905-688-4360


Thunder Bay: 807-766-2600

Québec region:

Gaspé: 418-368-2444


Îles-de-la-Madeleine: 418-986-6275


Montréal: 1-855-842-7042 or 514-283-0574


Québec: 1-888-649-6292 or 418-648-3238


Rimouski: 1-800-427-4417 or 418-722-3040


Sept-Îles: 418-968-4991

Prairie and Northern region:

Toll-free number for Edmonton and Winnipeg: 1-888-463-0521

Pacific region:

Nanaimo: 250-754-0244


Prince Rupert: 250-627-3045


Vancouver: 604-666-0834


Victoria: 250-363-0394